Sunday 1 July 2012

MBA speech: managers and not an MBA

Author: Henry? Ming bloomberg's





Exactly I didn't get MBA degree, Master of Business Administration)-then Massachusetts institute of technology's Sloan school of management and called it the Master of Science (Master of Science). But I'd really taught MBA course 15 years, until the 1980 s, I am unbearable, for our McGill university management dean reduce my teaching task, and reduced my wages. It's only because I found, I know the practice of management and I think to train managers of classroom teaching between, there are too many apart.



I found that not only I a person feel this way. For many years, I have asked all over the world, especially in the United States-the colleagues, colleagues in the traditional MBA students for professor what experience. I to so many people have the same feeling with my heart to be surprised. For business school for, a conservative very well their teachers secret is how many of the MBA taught felt such disconnects the trapped (we can from other aspects to realize, if these business school refused to explain them).



Then in the 1980 s, I began to bellow, tell me to the idea of MBA programs, including me in a book published in 1989 wrote a titled "training managers and not MBA" chapter. But then people started to put forward an awkward question: I have what the actual action? Do people and did not expect the academic will be asked if this problem, so I had a long time to respond. And then the McGill big tuition fees for forcing a time to respond. But in the end we set up a small team to have any as: start a real in the practice of the managers in the master's programs.



Recognizing that through the cooperation will have better performance, we of France and the European industry and commerce management institute (Insead) have made contact, I was also taught in there. But this kind of practice and did not go far, so I gave Lancaster University (Lancaster University) Jonathan? GeSiLin call, want to ask whether they are interested in college. He said he needed to consult with some people, including the director of the business school. After an hour, he called back!



I give insead drew up a acknowledged the "try to fail" memos. Gareth Dyas in secretary desk noticed it, he said: "you can't do this!" That time, I realized that my suggestion is too simple; Insead needs is more complex proposal. So I put forward a five business school cooperation Suggestions. They have embraced!



Next, I give a Tokyo bridge of the university of past Dan and Iraq fax a letter, at that time I also don't know that he is President. "When you read this letter, please sit down before." The beginning of the letter wrote. "Why not?" The next day he send in the reply is so begins.



So, from McGill university Jonathan, Roger? Bennett and I come from Europe and the school of business of Heinz Theinheiser the prototype of the group set off to the Tokyo, is to persuade Japan trip to the senior management college YeZhong yu kojiro characters. If that morning Tokyo metro trains that gang to cast the madman in the same choose poison gas line of the other direction if crime, we may never get the chance, when we are away from Tokyo to a bridge university.



After from there, we went to the bangalore India school of management, Roger had once go there reconnaissance. "The idea is very interesting, but we will not see you anymore." This is the people there for the trip to his reaction (this is in a few years we know). But they do see us, and with five college partner relationship so for sure (including in Japan from several different colleges of teachers).



And then we need to do is recruited some company, let them send managers to-when we can provide the are only some of the ideas, achieve them is not a easy thing (we don't have any resources as our personal efforts backing). But thanks to book mentioned those companies, we are just starting, although this and we start in a month think very different situation. So, in the spring of 1996, the international practice management master's programs (IMPM) start, and it has always been my professional career after one of the things--you will delight in chapter 10 to 14 in chapter feel my fever of love.



This constitutes a book one of the three themes of-in a serious education process training managers what to do. Another theme is my MBA of critical thinking for, it was the industry and commerce management education, and I think it has distorted the management practice. The third theme discussion is management practice itself, I think it from the right track, is bringing society dysfunction consequences. So this small combination is called a book-I used to write it in four years, with 15 years development it, with 35 years--I think it was the many, many ideas together.



Every time you see the preface this or that book is a statement of the crystallization of collective efforts, you will find it is but a cliche, because everyone knows no more personal than to write a book of things. But in here, this statement as much to much more real.



I put the book to those who make IMPM started to say "why not people, but I want a special mention one of them. If I didn't have Jonathan? GeSiLin, no and he established a good working relationship and friendly friend relationship of words, this book is not worth a wrote. In this book the injection of his thoughts and imagination, far more than the rest of the many contributions. Perhaps one reason will IMPM contact me up, because of my name in the literature more well known, but if no Jonathan seagull, IMPM could not be there.



And if no other word of many people, IMPM won't be so-is there a teacher team, we so far eight class in the participants, the company, project management, and other people. I'm here to specific mention of the royal bank of Canada Frank McCauley, he not only in the beginning give us support (he for send us the first check and felt proud) and, as we will see in the second part of that, offers so much insight; Lufthansa's Thomas Sattelberger certainly spur on enabled us to progress; Bill Litwack in dealing with our complex relationship made some pretty smart when the management of the arrangement, and help us to decide the early unit fundamental key; Colette Web replaced him as the objective executives, and from then on a happy heart and soul; From the beginning McGill university in at the first meeting to present McGill university in the project unit, Dora Koop has been working in there, and Kunal Basu is the one of the early efforts to pay; Nancy Badore provides many, many great ideas and moral support; Some of our young Turkey teachers, especially Quy Huy, Kaz Mishina, Taizoon Chinwalla (the project a graduate, then in MOTOROLA work, at the same time as we a cycle of joint director), and Ramnath Narayanswamy, he is often more faithful to the basic principle of the project and not its founder, including me, And Oliver Westall, he put the idea of IMPM generalized to the current EMBA programs electronic roundtable (E Roundtables) of.



My wife and I, gaza from the end of 1999 in Prague began to spend a long time, most of the book is done in there-I probably was written 5 times! Her support to my spirits. From time to time I to she announced that my book has been written, and every time her reaction is always positive happy. In fact, in you put it in the hand held before reading, without which book is written. Ask Santa it, she is my personal assistant. Every time when she ended the last chapter typing entry work (I write books; she is responsible for typing), I always set out to modify chapter 1. I dare not explore she is how to keep such a pair of good nature, this is a mysterious thing. Give me further help people including Chaharazed Abdallah, people that he is just the (imagine when your wife called salsa, your personal assistant that Santa, your research assistant call just, you is how life!) , Elise Beauregard, Chen Hua Tzeng and Rennie Nilsson. Nathalie Tremblay in efforts to searching for the missing reference material aspects rather good at.



Bell's-keller (Berrett-Koehler) is an old-style press. In other words, this press people believe that books, believe that thought, believe that the author; The company won't every two weeks to sell a times, it's not necessary for staff in the restructuring "rob seat game". Everything is in Steve Piersanti under the management of implementation, he is the silent, decent and dedicated leaders, but we need more of such is the leader. I am very happy to be and I described in chapter 9 that has very "heart" the style of leadership of working with people, and bell's-all the stuff of keller press team just reflected the style.



Charlie Dorries, Jeff Kulick, Bob Mountain, Andrea Markowitz, John Hendry, Joe Raelin, Dave Ulrich, Paola Perez-Alleman, Colette Webb, Oliver Westall and Jonathan? GeSiLin for some of the book content or all content provides beneficial evaluation. Bob Simons for chapter 2 provides some especially precious evaluation, in his college than I treat the way, his approach to polite, but this in a way that my argument more honest, fair. The book also adopted the Bogdan Costea in his thesis and private discussion of the idea, Of Dan LeClair AACSB in providing business school project registration statistics give me a big help; Joe Lampel in chapter 4 of the CEO of a harvard graduate 19 the analysis pay the hard work. I also must mention is all kinds of IMPM the participants, they allow me in the article excerpt for their material reference.



Several years ago, a famous business school dean (New York university Richard? West) said, "if I'm not the dean of words, I'll write a book about the American management education bankruptcy book" (Byrne 1990:62). I've never served as the director of the business school position. Needless to say (if necessary), this book express views represent neither their point of view, also do not represent their college point of view. But my President and his colleagues know very much about my point of view, and never stopped me in any way to express them, and at the same time for us in the IMPM the efforts to encourage support said.